Since September 2014, the Department of Education’s Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage (0-5 years) requires that “at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises and available at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings. Childminders, and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time, must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate. Paediatric first aid training18 must be relevant for workers caring for young children and where relevant, babies.”
This course provides first aid skills for dealing with emergency situations involving babies (0-12 months) and children (1-onset of puberty) and meets the standards set in the Framework (0-5 years). It is also ideal for anyone wishing to gain the confidence to manage first aid emergencies involving young children, such as parents.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Maintain factual records relating to first aid provision
- Explain the importance of personal hygiene in first aid procedures
- Explain the use of first aid equipment provided in the workplace, including the first aid box
- Outline the role of first aiders in emergency procedures
- Explain the importance of action planning
- Conduct primary & secondary assessments
- Place a child into the recovery position
- Successfully demonstrate infant and child CPR
- Administer first aid to a child with head injuries
- Administer first aid to a child with bleeding, shock and burns
- Administer first aid to a child with sprains, strains and fractures
- Administer first aid to a child with poisoning, bites and stings
- Administer first aid to a child with eye, nose and ear obstructions
- Recognise common childhood conditions
- Administer first aid to a child with asthma, diabetes and seizures
- Administer first aid to a child with allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock.
We offer this as an in-house course at a client’s premises on dates to suit them. Alternatively, we could host a course for you in one of our comfortable training rooms in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear, close to Durham and Newcastle and easily accessible from all areas of North East England.
Please note that the maximum number of students which can be accommodated on this course is 12.
Not sure what training is right for you? Please contact us on 0191 5022515 or email us to discuss your requirements with one of our advisors. Additionally, we have a useful good practice guidance document regarding first aid provision in schools available on our Resources page.